Wednesday 21 January 2015

PATRICIA AKUFFO-HENAKU

(Part 1)




Meaningful Life International believes that EVERY individual has the potential to fulfill their God-given dream when given the right opportunities, direction and support. In that light, MLI runs a system where Students from the University would come and serve with us for a period of time as interns.

This year, we are very privileged to have Patricia Akuffo-Henaku, a second year Social Work & Sociology student of the University of Ghana, Legon, serving with us. Patricia believes that MLI has the perfect Spiritual and Professional environment that is grooming her for her future career as a Social Worker. This she believes will empower her with the right tools to go out and make a positive change in the lives of people everywhere she goes.

This is her story...

"Before gaining admission into the University, i had no idea about Social Work. Whenever i saw people working with NGOs or Non-Profit Organizations, i always wondered what they studied back in the University. However, i have always had a keen interest in issues on human rights, women and children, health and international relations. In connection to this, i participated in the 'Model United Nations’ as well as a 'Mock AU Conference' which were organized to mark the celebration of the Day for the African Child. These platforms exposed me to so much as a teenager. I read about international issues, learnt how to make sound arguments, learnt the rules of procedure used in these international organizations, how to negotiate, how to prepare position papers, do research, and so many other things.

After gaining admission to the University and doing a little research on what i was going to study there (Social Work), i felt strongly that God was directing my path and giving me a chance to develop myself in my field of interest.

I heard about Meaningful Life International and about their ministry in the rural communities of Ghana through my mother. I have a personal believe that God gives everyone an opportunity to make a change everywhere they go, so this was a perfect opportunity for me to learn more and have some experience and practice in social work. So i decided to do my internship with Meaningful Life International

I started work as an intern on the 5th of January this year; and i must say that i have really enjoyed working here so far. Before i joined Meaningful Life, i thought the working environment was going to be the typical very strict and busy working environment. I expected to have strict supervisors and colleagues who simply did not have time for any other thing apart from work. I thought working here was really going to strain me. But no! Rather, every one was so down to earth and lovely. Every one here is like family..."

We will bring you Part 2 of Patricia's profile in our next publication... Stay Blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment